The history of Wojskowe Zakłady Lotnicze Nr 2 S.A. (Military Aviation Works No. 2) is inextricably linked to the history and development of Polish military aviation.
1945 is usually considered the starting date of the company’s activities, when the Mobile Field Workshop was established as a remnant of the liberation troops leaving Bydgoszcz.
However, it should be borne in mind that the history of the airport and the current facilities of WZL Nr 2 S.A. date back to 1923. It was then that Poland regained the airport and the hangars under the Treaty of Versailles.
Since then, the airport and its technical infrastructure has seen continuous use by Polish aviation. In the first years of operation, the task of the Mobile Field Workshops, later renamed Aviation Workshop No. 1, was the repair of post-Soviet aircraft, including Po-2, Jak-9, and Ił-2.
With the development and modernization of aviation in 1957, Aviation Workshop No. 1 was renamed Aviation Repair Works No. 2. A new era of aviation started at that point, with the repair of jet aircraft beginning. These were aircraft produced under Soviet license, including Mi-15, MiG-17, Lim-2, Lim-5, and Lim-6. During the peak period of the “Cold War”, Aviation Repair Works repaired about 100 aircraft per year. That was also the peak moment in the development of the Air Force, with a fleet of approx. 1000 airplanes of various types.
In 1982, the company name was once again changed in order to emphasize its military character. This time to Military Aviation Works No. 2. The plant was still engaged in renovating Air Force aircraft, but it was already preparing for the changes resulting from the purchase of Su-22 and MiG-29, which were modern models at the time. Thanks to the efforts of the entire WZL-2 staff, repairs and overhaul of these aircraft began in 1995. In this way, Military Aviation Works No. 2 became the main partner of the Polish Air Force. Further changes took place in 2008 when the restructuring the Ministry of National Defence led to the commercialization of all subordinate entities. Since then, WZL Nr. 2 S.A. has been dynamically operating on the public procurement market winning numerous bids for the repair and overhaul of aircraft used by the Armed Forces. Having the experience and technical capabilities as well as suitably qualified personnel, the company began preparations to implement the repair of F-16 and C-130 aircraft. WZL Nr. 2 S.A. for the first time began to open up to civil aviation for the first time. They are now the Authorized Service Centre for Cirrus aircraft.
The past and present achievements of Military Aviation Works No. 2 give hope for further development and a permanent position on the map of Polish aviation.